Thursday, August 5, 2010

Another teaser

The story of yesterday looks like it's going to become an essay, so once again I must stall on the full story. But, I did sign on for this Blog Every Day in August thing, so I need to write something here as well. Grr.

Here is a cryptic (or not-so-cryptic) excerpt from The Story of August 4th.


“I'm worried, Polly,” I speak dryly into the mirror, “This has never happened to me before.”

Polly pulls her hair out of its messy bun “What do you mean?” she asks, watching me warily through the mirror.

“Well.” My face looks pale in the reflection. With my hair covered by the black flowered scarf, I look like a cancer patient. I feel fragile and beaten. “As Connor was saying, by the middle section of Episode 25, you might as well be reading the Bible. Even I could see that.”

She nods, pulling an old horse's hairbrush from her purse and running it through her long hair.

“But... now, granted, this is Death Note. Ultimately, it's just some pretty shoddy anime, but I've never before been that affected by the real Christ story. I'm afraid I'll be struck down at any moment.”

Polly pulls an elastic from her wrist and wedges it between her teeth. Then, she gathers her hair into a low ponytail at the nape of her neck.

“I think...” She stops, shaking her head vigorously, before removing the elastic from her mouth.

“I think it is dangerous to underestimate the workings of God. Or His sense of humor.” She continues to speak into the mirror as I examine the pallid reflection beside her.

“If He's really as omnipotent as they all say, then he can do anything he wants. It is dangerous to limit this power by saying, 'No, this is not how He works.'” She turns to face me now. “If God wants to speak to you through Death Note, who's to say that He can't?”


On a sidenote, this is the first familiar essay I've written without the help of any vicious old NYU professors. Meaning, this is the first essay I've written that wasn't for a grade. We'll see how that goes. Of course, the only essays of mine that the professors ever liked were the ones where I embarrassed myself by
- by complaining about my lack of social skills,
- by expressing my undying love of one or many fictional characters, and finally,
- by generally making an ass of myself.

So far... in the spiritual breakdown/Death Note essay... check, check, and check. Damn.

Self-insults of the day:
Be a nicer director, you bitch! If you're so cranky, eat something. Not hungry? Well, why'd you eat so much Mongolian at lunch? And Seriously? Seriously? You've had your first ever spiritual awakening and it's about an anime??? YOU ARE LAME.

No comments:

Post a Comment