Thursday, August 26, 2010

Inception (again)

I've just returned from my second viewing of Inception. I'm in the mood to start gushing over it again, but I don't think I want to do that. So let's talk about something else.

It is a little odd to think that I'll be going back to New York in less than a week. On the day I returned home for the summer, I spent my time as I usually spend it at home: visiting my old high school, driving my sister and my friends around, listening to a lot of Arcade Fire and singing a lot of strange songs in public places. Which is basically what I do now, except everything is different.

The people are the same, mostly. We do the same things. We listen to the same songs. We attend Dollar Scoop Night at the local Baskin Robbins religiously.

But - and I hope this is true for my friends as well - this summer has changed my life in impossible ways. Tiny events hold great significance; single scenes replay again and again, becoming clearer with each repetition. When I return to school in six days, these changes will have grown to define me.

At the beginning of this summer, I had never been to a comics convention. I had also never seen Yosemite. I had never read manga, watched anime, played the accordion, or crocheted. I had never met Polly. Invasion, the glorious train-wreck of a play that we closed last week, was nothing more than the seed of an idea. I had never stolen a stop sign. I had never had any sort of religious experience. I had never walked at midnight along a metal bridge suspended over a canal thirty feet above the ground.

It is as though this summer has been a bizarre dream, a dream which has planted the idea in my head that life is beautiful. Or that art is worthwhile. Or something.

It sounds so trite to build up the revelations of this summer only to clumsily define them as "life is beautiful" or "art is worthwhile." Like, duh.

But I think I'll be going back to New York an entirely new person. I'm ready to go back new.

Plushie prototype progress:
One leg, one half-leg.
Designed more effective foot.
No progress on the hair problem.

Bonus:
Acquired a new wig today.

No comments:

Post a Comment