Sunday, August 8, 2010

Traffic. Jam.

Complaints on a theme: Lots of bitching today.

Traffic 1:

This morning, I drove my mother to her friend's house because she is taking a ladies' trip to Disneyland. Unfortunately, on my way home, I got hopelessly lost and ended up heading the wrong way on 193, which led me almost to Lincoln. How did I eventually figure out that I was headed North and not South? The sun.

Jam 1:
Something important to realize is that my brain does not filter thoughts well. Rather, it takes thoughts, ideas, or obsessions of mine and blows them out of proportion until I cannot think of anything else. For example, at work today, I spent a couple of hours dusting the high shelves while poised on top of a step stool. What was I thinking about the whole time? Nothing important, just a single phrase, over and over and over again: That butler, perfectly poised! I haven't even read Kuroshitsuji (though I've been meaning to since it started coming out, I think.)

The rest of my time at work was spent thinking about L (again). This is a slightly bigger problem because, as my friend Chase said, "One should strive to be like L in all aspects of life." Here's the catch: once you start striving to be like L, you inevitably end up eating nothing but sweets and drinking far more coffee than is healthy. It might be helpful for a fictional line-drawn superdetective Christ figure; it is not helpful for real humans.

Also, while mourning for fictional characters can be fun, it is also very depressing.

Traffic 2:
The California Highway Patrol likes to set up a barricade of police cars at my exit to catch people speeding down the mountain at the end of the weekend. Not only is it distracting, but it also impedes the flow of traffic and suggests that we actually do live in a police state. I'd much rather they were out being real cops, doing things like investigating those strange gunshots I heard in my neighborhood two days ago. Yeah.

Jam 2:
Did I mention I'm directing a play? Well, we open in eleven days. I'm supposed to have the final script finished for tomorrow's rehearsal, and as always I neglected to realize how behind I was until far too late. So the next 20 hours will be all about scripting, scripting, scripting! The problem?

For once, I have too many ideas I'm excited about! I'm having trouble concentrating on the script because there are about six other fun things bumping around in my mind trying to demand my attention. There's my developing idea for this year's nanowrimo, a Hamlet adaptation my friend and I are working on, an idea for a COW I had recently (a COW is a play that's... oh whatever. It's a play.), and my directing project for next semester, not to mention L who keeps popping up to get me confused. (You are not my character. Repeat: YOU ARE NOT MY CHARACTER.)

But I will not curse this overabundance of ideas by complaining about it. Nope. Nope. Lips sealed.

I think this COW might be a song cycle. Just saying.


BACK TO SCRIPTING.

Edit for comedic effect/to prove a point -

Melody (my sister): You look like L. Maybe it's the posture. Or the dark... dark... general gray... darkness.

No comments:

Post a Comment