Saturday, August 7, 2010

Writer's block?

The time for blogging has come, and I find I have nothing much to say. It's possible that between all of the projects I have going on I am simply tired and can't find the energy to write anything important. However, I can only take this as a good sign, since today I was relatively productive and I like where these projects are taking me.

So, I think I'll use today to geek out about the great material possessions I've been acquiring this summer:

1. My 120 Bass accordion, which I can't actually play but I will soon. I've named him Ed, after Edward Elric and Ed Kennedy, and although he seems a little touchy around the bellows I think he'll do very well for me. He was a long time coming.

2. My ukulele, which is much easier to play than the accordion. He is named L, after the Death Note Christ figure who may or may not have been the source of the August 4th incident... So my stage manager and I went to FYE, the only place in the mall with quality geek merch, and I got some pins to put on the case. One is just a letter L and the other is Ryuzaki sitting biting his thumb, as he often does. Speaking of Ryuzaki, I now come to

3. A gigantic cardboard L. My mother found this at the thrift store where she works part time. She'd heard me yelling about someone named L, so when she found a large piece of cardboard in the shape of an L (the letter, not the character. When I tried to explain it to Connor, he was confused. Lesson: don't give fictional characters homonymic names.) she brought it home to me. Sweet.

4. Also at my mother's thrift store, a huge plushie flower with a smiley face. I don't know what I'm going to do with it, but it's awesome.

5. A plaid newsboy cap in my favorite color of olive green.

6. An heirloom pocketwatch, which I found in the basement. I don't know whose watch it was, but I know whose it is now. My friend Ally calls it steampunk.

7. A steampunk pocket scale to match the watch. I'm actually trying to build a large collection of small steampunk devices, which I will someday hang off of a belt and carry everywhere I go. The funny thing about this scale: I've been working in The Store for over a year, and I hadn't noticed them until a couple of days ago. They're utterly inaccurate and, as my coworker says, "you can't use this for anything but drugs!" I bought it because it was cheap and it matched my steampunk watch.

8. A backup copy of Settlers of Catan, bought for a quarter at a rummage sale. Now I can keep doubles of Catan, Ticket to Ride, Flux, and Scrabble in both New York and California without having to worry about taking them back and forth. NOTHING WILL KEEP ME FROM MY BOARD GAME DOMINATION.

9. A flowered teacup I found in my kitchen cabinet. Me: Mom? Is this of sentimental value to anybody? Mom: I don't think so. Me: Good. *swipe*

10. A LOT of yarn. What am I knitting? This:


Now, let's hope I finish before I have to cart all of the yarn to New York with me.


Have I mentioned I'm directing a play? We open in twelve days, and we are not ready. Priority for tomorrow is to finish the script (I repeat: we are not ready) and make a tech list. I also need to figure out how electricity works, because I'd like to have a basic lighting system set up, but I'm not sure if the lights we have will set the building on fire or not.

Awkward conversation of the day:
Me: Oh - Excuse me.
Girl at the Mall: Oh my God! I thought you were a mannequin!

No comments:

Post a Comment