Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Birthday

So, in my angst regarding yesterday's tech rehearsal, I sort of neglected to gush about my birthday as much as it deserved. I went in with the world's lowest expectations, as I had my work shift and the tech rehearsal and a bunch of other things on my mind, and because 19 is not a very exciting number, so I actually had a wonderful time.

Connor and I went out to breakfast (with my new corduroy backpack that my mother bought from The Store months ago and had been held hostage until my birthday) and then to the Roseville, where we drove around and talked about theater while I bought underwear and props. For you non-locals, Roseville is a town approximately halfway between Auburn and Sacramento, although in my opinion everything from Newcastle to Fair Oaks might as well be Roseville. Miles upon miles of housing developments and strip malls. Not a tree in sight. When I'm feeling particularly nervous about leaving for school, I love to spend time in Roseville because of the utter middle-America-ness of it all. Also strip malls and horizons are difficult to come by in Manhattan.

After getting my prop shopping done, we came back to Auburn for frozen yogurt downtown. We walked down the street to the shop that our friend Johanna is currently renovating into a tattoo parlor (as soon as it opens, I'm getting a tattoo. Foot.) By this point, it was time to go to work, which was excellent because my coworkers had made cupcakes! They also gave me the most unexpected present ever, a dress that I had been eying for months but hadn't the means to buy. I spent the rest of my shift bouncing around the store in my dress, very happy about everything.

Rehearsal wasn't actually as bad as I made it out to be, and afterwards we all went to In N Out for dinner.

So today, when I went to Roseville again to buy more props (and Melody's school supplies), it was as if my birthday hadn't ended yet. I bought myself the mini sewing machine from JoAnn that I'd been looking for (let's hope it works; it didn't cost very much) and some school shoes, which constituted my first ever purchase from Hot Topic. I had just bought the shoes when I turned around and saw a stack of L t shirts (which they hadn't had the day before. Yes, I check for the L shirt every day. I'm a merch stalker.) Before I knew it, I had made my second ever purchase from Hot Topic, and I now have an excellently dorky tech shirt. Watch out, cool people at school.

But my birthday still wasn't over.

When I got to rehearsal, Beth and Polly had made me the world's ugliest TARDIS cake. It had sort of collapsed or melted or something, so they used string and gigantic toothpicks to hold it up, so it came out looking more or less like a very spiky blue pile of sand. They made up for it with some very cute Dalek cupcakes, although both cakes were delicious.

I wasn't planning on celebrating at all until Friday after the show, but things have already been so fun! Looks like this is the birthday that refuses to end. Fine by me.




Conversation with myself:
Hey, so you just wrote an entire blog about your birthday.
Yes, I did. So?
Aren't you supposed to be speaking to people, not about yourself?
I guess so, but...
This is such masturbatory middle school crap. It's like a journal.
But I can't think of anything to write about!
Then don't write a blog.
But we're halfway through the month! I can't stop now!
We wish you would.
Since when are there multiples of you?
Oh, you have no idea...


Insert imaginary friends dance here.

No comments:

Post a Comment