Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Rescripting

We now have eight days until the play opens.

Act 2 is in decent shape as of now... but Act 1 is overcomplicated and long-winded. We realized this when we nearly fell asleep during a walkthrough of the first act - a third of the way through, and Nikki and I were bored out of our minds. So it's back to the drawing board on the first act, and tomorrow we'll have to hash it out as quickly as possible.

It's really hit me now that I'm going to be directing and creating shows for a long time. I've started preproduction work on my fall directing project (a Beckett play), and after that, I'm planning on doing some sort of workshop over winter break. Add in design gigs and solo performance and writing and hopefully acting and I'm going to be busy for a while!

Actually, what worries me is that none of this is certain - it's entirely possible that my shows will be such complete failures that I will be banned from the stage. I could never be cast in another show, I could never be asked to design again. I suppose I'm just nervous because I'm so far away from that life - I hardly talk to my classmates in New York over vacation, and I would hate to get back to find all of the designer spots already filled.

Since it is vacation, my brain is not at all used to switching between creative projects so often. It's like,

Beckett!
Invasion!
Beckett!
Invasion!
aaaaaaaahhhhh.

It's very distracting.

While I should be working on the play:
Melody and I are watching The Prisoner of Azkaban, which is an atrocious film in so many ways. We're enjoying providing our own commentary and criticisms. My favorite so far is Melody's response to Mrs. Weasley chasing after the train ("Dooon't loooooosee himmmmm!!!")

"Hey Ron! RON!! DON'T FORGET YOUR PLOT POINT!!!!!"

Great man, my sister.

No comments:

Post a Comment