Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Fan-Performance Art

With the popularity of A Very Potter Musical and such, I am very excited about the birth of the genre of the fan musical. I thought that AVPM was the first of its kind, but the other day I stumbled upon another. I was innocently searching for pictures for a Grell Sutcliffe cosplay (yes, I'm starting to cosplay. One of many things that happens when you buy a sewing machine and become friends with Polly.) when I found out about the Kuroshitsuji musical. It's a full scale musical, not unlike AVPM... but it's in Japanese.

My only question? WHY DID THIS HAPPEN?

I continue to be amazed by the glory of fandom - everything from inside jokes to favorite fan pairings to service organizations (Harry Potter Alliance, anyone?) has sprung from internet fandoms. People use it as an opportunity to practice their music, their drawing, their textile arts... and most importantly, for someone in my shoes (drama school-shaped shoes) to study how these amazingly engrossing stories are told.

Earlier this summer, my sister and I took a road trip down to Yosemite. I had just begun reading manga, and I spent half of the trip trying to convince her that we should dress up as Death Note characters and dance to CocoRosie songs. Melody hates CocoRosie, but that's not the point. On our last night, we went for ice cream in downtown Sonora (which is exactly like Auburn only not as close to Sacramento), and I remember dancing around the deserted parking lot, proclaiming, "Fan-Performance Art is the wave of the future!"

Well, I'm not sure about the performance art part, but I'm definitely excited by the development of fandom-inspired theater. It'll be kind of like theater-inspired fandom, only without Stephen Schwartz.

I wish I had more time to speak eloquently about this subject.

Note to self:
11:30 is not a good time to start an entry.

Add to list of things to discuss:
Fan theater.

Another note:
I did not talk about my play at all in this entry. I don't want to curse it. Let's hope the Bad Dress = Good Opening superstition doesn't also work in reverse.

No comments:

Post a Comment