Friday, August 13, 2010

Geoffrey vs. Darren

My sister and I have just returned from seeing my old theater company's community production of The Wizard of Oz. And the entire time I was there, I had to reconcile myself with the fact that although they did a fantastic job with that show, I don't much like The Wizard of Oz to begin with.

Perhaps this is because I hail from the Wicked generation. I mean, yes, I was Elphaba for Halloween my sophomore year of high school. So it's entirely possible that my disdain for Oz is just leftover teenage angst, and the real reason that I don't like the show is that the Wicked Witch is misunderstood and all of those Ozians are paranoid and deeply prejudiced.

All the same, as I was mulling over the show at intermission, my brain turned (as it often does when faced with a text I don't like) to how one could possibly turn this text into something watchable. So I turned to my sister and said:

"What do you think about setting this show in Nazi-occupied Poland?"

Now, for all of you Slings and Arrows fans out there, I have a question:*
Does this make me Darren Nichols?

I like to consider myself a student of Geoffrey Tennant school of directing. I've been watching Slings and Arrows since before I became a director. I've basically modeled my directing persona after Geoffrey Tennant. So why do I want to set The Wizard of Oz in Nazi-occupied Poland? WHY??

Because that is exactly the sort of thing Darren Nichols would do. Actually, I'm pretty sure he does do this at some point. It might have been The Tempest or something, but Darren definitely directs an inappropriate Nazi show at some point in the series.


Edit from yesterday:
Mangas read - 5.
Male characters mistaken for female - 6.
This curve is not good.
Me = n00b.

*Referring to my readers en masse is pointless. Of the two people I know to read my blog regularly, one is leaving for Ghana in the morning and one is sitting in the next room. And as far as I know, Colleen hasn't watched Slings and Arrows. Melody has heard me say everything in this post already, because I told her all about it while we were driving home.

No comments:

Post a Comment